Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Counting Calories.

I can get obsessive about stuff, and then completely lose interest. Back when I was actively trying to lose weight, my game plan was to maintain a 1600-1700 calorie diet and engage in moderate daily excercise. I think this a reasonable plan but the problem is with monitoring calorie intake. It actually makes me think and obsess over food more, which ultimately leads to a complete disinterest in monitoring food intake. In the back of my mind I am always thinking, I shouldn't have to think this hard about food to eat reasonably. Unfortunately, my inner guide on when to stop eating is a little submissive and constantly overrided (is that a word?) by my compulsive habit of overindulgence. Anyway, just for interest fact I counted up the calories to this mornings breakfast and had a little bit of an epiphany, I say a little bit, because I actually already knew what I realized but the significance became more obvious as applied to my meals.

My "brunch" consisted of:

1/2 spicy sausage 110 calories
2 scrambled eggs 150 calories
1 medium red potatoe 200 calories
1 tbsp olive oil mayo 50 calories
1 cup chocolate milk 220 calories
salt, pepper, fresh dill and green onions

Now all together this adds up to a whopping 730 calories, however considering this is 2 meals in 1, that isn't too bad. But if it were just one meal, the chocolate milk definitely should be eliminated. Besides the fact that milk and me don't agree, that is an insane amount of calories for 8 oz of beverage. To think that this is a beverage commonly served to children in addition to their meal, makes it no surprise that obesity in American children is becoming epidemic.

Anyway, the meal itself was very filling and without the chocolate milk was about 500 calories, which is right on target. A 1600-1700 calorie diet typically includes three 400-500 calorie meals and two 100-200 calorie snacks. To stay within this range without obsessively counting calories, I follow these guidelines:

- drink water when thirsty
- I can have one 8 oz beverage a day
- I keep my portion sizes reasonable
- eat last meal before 8 p.m.
- I can have a small fun snack after 8 p.m.

I think this plan is awesome, and so far my only weakness has been BlueBell icecream, of which I eat a whole pint in one sitting, which is usually between 600-700 calories. I would say that is why I haven't lost a pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment