Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Elimination Communication sans the communication...

I don't think I've talked much about this on my blog, but I practice what is called Elimination Communication or EC'ing. I actually prefer infant pottying because that is a lot more self explanatory and makes more sense in the context of my specific practices. Its very simple, instead of allowing/encouraging Manny to pee or poop in a diaper, I anticipate when he will go and allow him to relieve himself in some type of receptacle. I have been practicing this since birth. I used diapers as back-up and had many days where I made no effort to "catch" anything. I was very laid back about the whole thing, and saw it as a way to use and change less diapers. Whenever I explain this to people, they usually perceive me as anxiously watching and waiting for signs that Manny might be about to use the restroom and then rushing frantically to get him there. I really don't know how to explain to them that this isn't the case, and what really is the case, so I don't. I can only say that now that he is 3 1/2 months shy of 2, changing diapers is definitely not something I want to do and I am so glad that I EC, because even though I don't consider him "potty trained" (he doesn't really tell me he has to go), he wears underwear all day and "accidents" are almost non-existent. I've heard critics say that EC'ing is really "potty training" the parent, and in my opinion that is mostly true. I have trained myself to remember that he pees and poops and I need to give him the opportunity to do that. I don't think that is much different than parents who have to "train" themselves to remember to change diapers regularly and check to see if the child has soiled it. Its just that I have eliminated the middleman..

No comments:

Post a Comment