Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Birthday Cake!

It was my boo's birthday so I made him a chocolate cake. I actually had 3 attempts, and the last was a charm. I tried a couple of recipes, one from Ina Garten, one from my Southern Living cookbook, and I even resorted to a box cake (which was sub-par to say the least). Finally, I found this recipe on Apartment Therapy http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/dessert/recipe-dark-chocolate-cake-014696, and my oh my was I pleased! It was so easy, especially compared to the recipes I tried previously. I used buttermilk in place of the milk, and hot coffee in place of the boiling water. I halved the recipe, using 4.5" cake pans instead of the typical (2) 9" pans. I love my 4.5" cake pans, they make the perfect size double layer cake for a family of 3, about 5-6 generous servings. I used heavy whipping cream, semi-sweet chocolate morsels, and powdered sugar for the frosting, it was like a ganache but thicker and paired extremely well with this moist cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment