Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Summer Garden transitions to Fall!

So as I have talked about earlier, I have an unjustifiable loyalty to the notion of gardening. I've cycled through 4 or 5 gardening seasons, and put in brief spurts of strenuous labor here and there, with little to show for it. I'm TRYING here! I have to give myself credit for that. Somehow, I need to muster up the motivation to try harder.

For the summer garden, I managed to till the earth several times, build a raised garden box from reclaimed scrap wood, fill it with dirt, manure, compost. Dig rows in the ground garden. I also filled several pots for a container garden of herbs and tomatoes. In the raised garden box I planted radishes, beets, carrots, and tomatoes. In the ground garden, I planted black pole beans, squash, mustard greens, okra, cucumbers, and again tomatoes. Sounds like a ton of work right? Not to mention watering and weeding consistently...

You would think that I would be swimming in produce, right? WRONG. Not to say I didn't get anything, but not enough to live off of. Obviously, I can do better. So, I will be pulling up all the summer foliage in a few days, tilling, spreading the compost pile in the ground and letting it bake in prep for the fall garden which will be planted in September. One day, I will get the hang of this...

No comments:

Post a Comment